Saturday, May 19, 2012

Being a mama ...

It's been a while since I've written a thought provoking post so please bear with me as I dust off my R.E.M. cassette and fall into my "deep thought" place.


To be a mama, you have to build some incredibly strong callouses to withstand all the wear and tear to your mind, body and soul.
Being a mama hurts my brain.
Attempting to rationalize with a 3 1/2 year old on why he has to wear pants when it's 30 degrees outside challenges my brain more than any college professor ever did.
I can hear the wheels turning in my head as I try to explain life in words the Turkey understands.  
I can't count how many times I've pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes trying to think of a good reason as to why a plastic airplane can't really fly.
Being a mama hurts my brain!

Being a mama hurts physically.
There is a reason God created menopause because a woman needs to be energetic and slightly agile to keep up with a child.
The morning after a grueling wrestling match with "Nathan the Destroyer" has me reaching for my prescription strength ibuprofen.
Lugging around a 20 pound baby strains muscles I didn't even know existed in my back and shoulders.
If Nathan accidentally runs over my flip-flopped pinky toe with his Big Wheels, I want to fall to the floor in pain!
Being a mama physically hurts!

Being a mama hurts my heart.  
But as a mama, you are expected to be strong ... after all, a mama's kiss heals all boo-boos.  
There are days when I don't want to be strong.
But, as a mama, you can't crawl back in bed.
With every cry I hear from my babies when they fall, I want to cry too.
When their hearts break, my heart breaks more.
When they are up all night with a stomach virus, I am right there by their side wiping their face with a warm wash cloth and praying for God to help heal them.
Being a mama hurts my heart!


Being an adult is hard.
Being married is harder.
Being a parent is harder-er.
And being confident in your ability to be all 3 is the dang-dad-gummed hardest.

1 comment:

Courtney Parker said...

So true, chickie, especially that last line!! Love ya!