Monday, July 11, 2011

superhero ...

"Cool Andy" and "Summy" (my brother and sister-in-law) gave Nathan a Captain America action figure over the weekend and he won't stop playing with "Supper-Ero" (superhero).  Seeing his adoration of the plastic, red, white and blue figure made me reflect on the attributes of the Superhero.



Super (adjective): of the highest degree, power, etc.; of an extreme or excessive degree.
Hero  (noun): a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

Captain America has physical endurance and never gets tired ...
Superman is lightning fast and has x-ray vision ...
Spiderman has "spider-sense" and can sense danger ...

When you become a parent, you also become a Superhero.


Like Captain America, a parent shows little fatigue even after being up all hours of the night guarding the closet so no monsters can escape.  This gift is usually one of the first evidenced abilities in a new parent and is realized after the first few weeks of a child's life when 2 hours of sleep is all you need to survive the day.

Like Superman, a parent has super speed and can run from one side of the kitchen to the other in the blink of an eye to swat a little hand from touching a hot plate.  A seasoned parent is so versed in super-speed that they can make it from their bed (in a dead sleep) to the bedside of their child before their name is called out after a nightmare.

Like Spiderman, a parent can sense when their little one is up to no good.  Over time, this skill can be perfected so the parent can warn their child of the impending doom before they even partake in the villainous act.  A perfect example of this ability is evidenced in my family.  I was making dinner yesterday when I realized an eerie silence had filled our house.  Without moving from where I stood, I sensed danger.  I called out: Nathan, if you are thinking about jumping from the couch into the laundry basket again, you are going to be in big trouble!  A few seconds later, I hear the thunder of little feet running into the kitchen and an angelic expression on the face of my sinister toddler right behind me.

I'm a mild mannered working mom until I sense danger ... Then I become Super Ma! 

2 comments:

Lady Blachly said...

LOL!

Yep, that's a parent alright! The ULTIMATE Super Hero!

Tiffanie said...

Love the blog! I found ya through Baby Center