Monday, April 11, 2011

Monkey (#2)!!!!!!


Oh.my.goodness! There are no words to capture the happiness and excitement in my heart right now!

As you know, Nathan does not do much without Monkey!  

(altogether now ... )
Poor Monkey!

I purchased Monkey for Nathan when he was still my belly from the clearance rack at World Market almost 3 years ago. Monkey was cute and would make a nice addition to the monkey collection I was forcing on my unborn child.  And it totally matched the decor of his nursery.

Fast forward 2 ½ years and … well … all I can say is … Poor Monkey! 



(altogether now … )
Poor Monkey!


Little did I know that this stuffed animal would become MONK-EEEEE!!!!  Nathan's absolute, bestest BFF in the entire galaxy! 

Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what I know now, more than one monkey should have been purchased.

I have nightmares of Nathan coming to me holding nothing but little brown corduroy monkey ear asking what happened to Monkey.  I do not want my son to learn his first lesson on death that way!

For the past 2 years, I've been on the search for a new Monkey. 

I thought finding a replacement monkey was a pipe-dream.  I bought it on clearance after all.  

But the thought that a new Monkey existed somewhere in the world kept my dream alive. 

(Insert song “Somewhere Out There” from Fivel Goes West)

I would stop by World Market every month or so praying Monkey would be there. 

I tried every google, bing and yahoo variation of "corduroy", "brown", "cream", "striped", "monkey", "World Market", "please Jesus" imaginable but nada.  No Monkey!

Something in my gut (or was it indigestion?) told me to try the internet search again today .


On a whim, I click on a curious item halfway through the first page.  It called out plush stuffed animals from World Market on Ebay.
 
What I saw took my breath away!  It's as if heaven opened up and the cherubs started singing!  I could not believe my eyes!

Could it be??  No, there's no way it could be!  Is it really??  Monkey??  THE MONKEY???  MY NATHAN’S MONKEY???

I just got goosebumps recalling the memory from earlier today.  The excitement can only be compared to Christmas of 1985 when I awoke to my Barbie Dream House in front of the tree!

But there he was, in the electronic flesh … MONKEY!  Brand new, beautiful, clean, un-vomited on Monkey!!!  Lovely, happy Monkey with all 4 limbs!!!  Monkey #2 will be all mine for $39.99 (plus shipping and handling)! 


What? What? WHAT??  $40 for a stuffed animal??  To replace something that I spent $10.00 three years ago?? 

Who am I kidding?!  This is my child's potential happiness I'm thinking of!!  You cannot put a price on Nathan’s happiness!  

It also helped that I sent a message to the seller explaining my situation and he/she knocked $10.00 off the price.

Hopefully he will arrive by this weekend!  

I know in my heart of hearts that nothing will ever take the place of Monkey (#1), but I know I will sleep a little more peacefully at night knowing Monkey (#2) is available if the need ever surfaces.

And let this be a little lesson to any parent's out there ... make sure to buy 2 of EVERYTHING as you never, ever know what your kids will latch on to! 



4 comments:

Holly said...

That is so true! I've thought of that many times. Kieran's favorite toy right now is a stuffed monkey we got him from the circus. The catch is, you will end up with a ton of un-loved doubles because they only latch on to one thing. haha

Courtney said...

So right... they don't make/sell Claire's Jaffy lovey anymore. That's why Baby Mason's lovey will be mommy-made so I can just make him another one!! So glad you found a new monkey!!

Lady Blachly said...

Ive done the same eBay hunt and didnt find his exact doll but a few that were close. We did however lose his favorite little security pillow at the hospital when Alaina was born. Thank god we had the exact same material in receiving blanket form so my mom sewed one up real quick and saved the day! I agree...gotta have that backup ready to go!

Shan said...

So true! Madelyn has a frog that some friends gave us before birth. When another set of friends gave us the same frog (still before she was born), I shared it with a pregnant friend. When I saw how she *loved* F.R.O.G., I considered asking for it back.