Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I surrender ...

Between being REALLY pregnant, helping with my mama (and daddy) and just life in general, the past 2 weeks have been trying to say the least.  

During the trying times ... I have a tendency to focus on the negative.  
During the trying times ... I need to remind myself that life is one big ball of chaos that I cannot control.  
During the trying times ... I have to remind myself to surrender.

Surrender (according to Merriam-Webster):
sur.ren.der\verb
1a : to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand <surrendered the fort> b : to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another
2a : to give (oneself) up into the power of another especially as a prisoner b : to give (oneself) over to something (as an influence)

By surrendering, I am not giving up …I am "GIVING IN” to life.  I am opening up myself to live freely and without worry.  


I surrender to …
  • my growing belly
  • the precious parasite who will not.stop.moving.
  • being exhausted
  • the boy (who tried to take his potty with him to daycare this morning)
  • my rings not fitting my swollen fingers this morning
  • the beautiful weather (sunny and 85 today)
  • being stuck at my desk NOT enjoying the beautiful weather
  • everything in life I have no control over
  • all of my fears and worries
  • my discomfort (it will all be worth it … hopefully)
  • my husband (he can make the decisions for the next 2 months)
  • the dog hair
  • the dog hair
  • THE DOG HAIR
  • the laundry
  • the sheets (which haven’t been changed in WEEKS!)
  • the grimy bath tub (I scrubbed it a little bit with my foot while in the shower last night)
  • the stress of my family
  • the tears (they’re therapeutic)
  • my work goals that are due next week

Surrendering is a very simple exercise and it can be so effective when life gets a little hectic. 

I challenge you to surrender.  Make a list of everything in life that's bothering you right now and put the words "I surrender to" before each item on the list.  Next, read the list but this time from the perspective that you are letting go of each item on that list.  Continue to reread the list and focus on the weight of each item lifting off your shoulders.  Eventually the mountain of items will shrink to a mole hill of inconveniences and you will see life through a refreshed perspective.

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ~ Matthew 11:28

4 comments:

joannakitler said...

Please please let me come help you with the house. I would love to take help out with stuff...i.e. cleaning the bath tub, laundry, dusting, etc. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Shan said...

I feel ya on the dog hair. Love the dog, but ugh!
Sorry you've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately. You should take Joanna up on her offer. But if you're not going to, please feel free to send her my way. I surrender to random acts of kindness.

:+)

Becky said...

Thanks Joey! I seriously might take you up on it! Part of me is curious to see how clean my foot can get the tub though! LOL!!

joannakitler said...

OMGoodness Becky! You are freakin' hilarious!!!!! Really though...I LOVE to clean and would love to help you out anytime!