Saturday, February 19, 2011

it's mine ...

A Toddler's Creed
by T. Berry Brazelton

If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anybody else, no matter what.
If we are building something together, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it's mine.


This was posted by one of my girlfriends and I was compelled to share it with you!  With my angel Nathan halfway through his second year of life, this poem has special meaning to me!  He’s full swing in “MINE” mode! 

Here’s a list of the recent “MINE’s” we heard come out of Nathan’s mouth:
“My Monkey”
“My Binkie”
“My Daddy”
“My Comter” (computer)
“My Rug” (referring to the area rug in the living room)
“My Dinosaur”
“My Phone” (to MY phone)
“My Car” (to MY car)
“My Bad Dog” (to Sissy)
“My Cookie”
“My Mook” (milk)
“My Frigerter” (refrigerator)
"My Camra" (camera)

With each “MINE”, there is usually one of three responses from me and Shaun.

Response 1:  We correct him when he tries to claim things that aren’t his (i.e. MY phone) and take the said object away.  This option will usually result in some sort of temper tantrum that I struggle to not laugh at.

Response 2:  We reply with “Yes Nathan, that is you _______ (insert object here).  But you will need to share when your baby sister gets here”. 
Nathan:  My Daddy!
Me: Yes, that is your Daddy.  But you will have to share Daddy with your little sister.  Ok?
Nathan:  No!  My Daddy!
Me: That’s right.  He IS your Daddy!  But he will be your sister’s Daddy too.
Nathan: No! No! NO!  He my Daddy!!!!  (he’s getting slightly upset at this point)
Me: Ok, fine.  He’s your Daddy!
Nathan: Thanks Ma!
Me: You’re welcome Nathan.
(It’s all about picking your battles!  At least he said “Thank you”!)
  

Response 3:  We laugh hysterically!  This is the normal response when the “MINE” is more outlandish (i.e. the fridge and area rug).  This is also my favorite response since this rarely ends with anything other than a sweet smile from MY NATHAN!!!

1 comment:

Laura @ our messy messy life. said...

Love this, Becky!!!!

I usually laugh hysterically and then say "yep, it's yours".