Monday, January 24, 2011

What's in a name?



"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

-Shakespeare
With the arrival of BGL coming up, it makes me wonder, what is in a name?

I searched my family’s names on www.name-meanings.com and found the meanings very enlightening  …

Shaun’s full name is Philip Shaun
Philip means “Lover of Horses”
Shaun means “God’s Gift”
Hmm … I’m not sure what I think about him being a “Horse Lover”!  And he already knows he’s God’s gift!

My full name is Rebecca Ann
Rebecca means “Servant of God”
Ann means “Gracious”
So, I am a gracious servant of God … I’ll take it!  And it makes more sense than a Horse Lover!

Nathan Christopher
Nathan means “Gift of God”
Christopher means “Christ-bearer”
So, this makes sense since his dad is “God’s Gift” too.

Armed with this information, I went on to search the meanings of BGL’s potential names

First name:
Katy (not Katherine or Katrina … just Katy) which means “Pure, Virginal”
Alyssa which means “Rational”
Both have a good, strong meaning.

Middle name:
Elizabeth which means “Consecrated to God”
Ann which means “Gracious”

Based on the above knowledge I now have, I’m leaning towards “Katy Beth” because I like the thought of her being “Pure, Virginal and Consecrated by God” as opposed to Alyssa Ann (“Rational and Gracious”).



To ponder Shakespeare's famous quote above, would my little girl be just as sweet if her name were, in fact, Dinosaur*?!

*Dinosaur is "God's Gift's Gift" suggestion (which the name Dino actually means "Little Sword" in case you didn't know!)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I still like Alyssa :)

Buffy said...

Of course you do, Rebecca! LOL I thought of you when I read it. I love that you have meanings behind all of the names. I found out much later that Braeden was Irish. We have absolutely NO Irish in our blood. HA!

Becky said...

Rebecca ... I knew you'd like Alyssa too!

Courtney said...

I like Dino :)

Anonymous said...

I love Katy!!

Anonymous said...

I like Katy the best. Alyssa Ann is also fun because of the alliteration.

Anonymous said...

That being said, Alex is the dragon defender of mankind and Carter is a cart driver in a water town (sounds interesting). I am moonlight on the lake and David is beloved land.

Becky said...

I'm sure Alex will be very happy to hear that he's the dragon defender. And that explains a lot about devious Carter!