Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Mountain ...

As I previously mentioned, I am passionate about marriage and relationships.  This passion was instilled very early on in my life by my parents who will celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary this year.  Mama told me this story after my first heartbreak when I was 14 years old ...


Life is a mountain you start climbing from the day you are born.  When you are little, you are strapped to your parent's back and they do most of the climbing for you.  As you get older, you venture out a little on your own just to see if you can climb by yourself.  By the time you are a teenager, you think you are a professional climber and can handle the steepest cliffs. That's right around the time when you have your first fall.  It's a slight tumble, but feels like you hit rock bottom.   But you're not completely alone; you have the encouraging words of your family telling you to get up and keep climbing.  So you do.  You keep climbing.   You still have many slips and falls but with each fall, it gets easier and easier to dust yourself off and climb again.  Sometimes you have someone to climb with you and other times you are all alone.  It is the moments when you are all alone when you sometimes make the most progress.  One day, you stumble (sometimes literally) into a fellow climber who is trying to reach the same summit as you.  So you climb together.  Having this person by your side makes you feel invincible.  But you slip and just as you are about to fall, your partner reaches out their hand and catches you.  So the journey up the mountain continues but this time, you aren't alone.  You look to the person by your side and know they are there to share the burden of the steep climb with you.

The story gave me hope when I was 14 to realize that I wasn't alone on that first fall.  Little did my mama know the impact that story would have on my entire life.  Whenever I feel like I'm falling, I look to the person by my side and am not afraid because I know he will be there to catch me.  Likewise, when I see him falling, he knows that I will catch him as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is encouraging!! dd